Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bending

The Bright Motion from New Amsterdam Records on Vimeo.

I recently (maybe 2 months ago) saw Koyaanisqatsi (too lazy to look up the correct spelling); I'm sure the director of this little video saw Koyaanisqatsi too. I guess the same could probably be said for quite a few commercials for BMWs and fancy watches--I don't watch much grown-up TV, but something gives me the sense that this is what higher end marketing looks like these days.

Still. The video is pretty to watch and I thought the music was quite nice too. What really got me though is this moment at about 1:10 when Michael Mizrahi comes out of a trill and "bends" the note with his ring finger. Bending a note on a piano. I don't know anything about playing piano, so perhaps this is entirely unremarkable. Anyway, I tried a little experiment--you should too. Watch the little snip from 1:05 to 1:15 three or four times. And then play it again, but look away from the video this time. That bent note still seems to bend. I'm sure if you plugged a tuner in the needle wouldn't move at all, but still, it's a neat trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment