Saturday, September 17, 2011

Scope Creep

It's earlyish. The boys are asleep and I have the TV on with no sound. There's a line in "The Manchurian Candidate" (uh, yeah, the Frank Sinatra one, not the Denzel Washington one), where Laurence Harvey's character, Raymond Shaw, says to his new bride,
"My dear girl, have you ever noticed that the human race is divided into two distinct and irreconcilable groups: those that walk into rooms and automatically turn television sets on, and those that walk into rooms and automatically turn them off. The trouble is that they end up marrying each other."
Honestly, I'm not sure which camp I'm in. Sometimes I want to take a shotgun and blow the TV to bits, and other times I don't want to be in a room alone unless something is moving around on the screen.

So I just glanced up at the screen a little while ago and Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" is on--and the image that I happened to catch is this absolutely beautiful movie moment. It's the very end of the first act--Belle has been singing about how she doesn't fit in in her small town and how there must be more than "this provincial life" etc. The imagery is (deliberately, I assume) like the part in "Gone With the Wind," where Scarlett declares that she'll never be hungry again.

With those pictures in my head, it's time that I acknowledge that I've kind of pigeonholed myself with the whole Euphonium Plays Baroque Music thing. When I set up this blog, I added the description: "A Euphonium Player on a Mission to Learn and Record Telemann's 12 Fantasias for Unaccompanied Flute." A mission indeed--an incomplete one at that. But really--the Telemann...and the Rochut and the Bach--that's all good stuff, but, depending on the day of the week, or the week of the year, that's only a small chunk of my right-brain bandwidth. My day job has me hanging out an awful lot on the left side, and really, enough is too much already. There's quite a bit of non-euph music going on in and out of my studio these days--and that's all going to be very welcome here.

1 comment:

  1. http://chime.in/user/dickvangelder/chime/67332016723918848

    ReplyDelete