Sunday, February 21, 2010

Strike One!

I went into my studio last night to record Telemann's Fantasia #6, but I came out empty handed. I was debating whether or not to even bother recording last night. Somehow, I didn't think the mojo was quite right. I should have listened to that little voice.

First I blew a few notes and got a nasty rattle whenever I played E natural. I searched all around the room puffing E's. Finally, after about 10 minutes I found the offender: a loose strip of clear plastic window insulation. So I sat back down and hit record. A few false starts later I realized that my first valve needed some oil--it was sticking just a tiny bit, but enough to cause some problems.

Having now blamed the window insulation and my sticky valve, it's time to 'fess up and acknowledge that I was playing pretty crappily. I was struggling a lot, including areas that shouldn't be a struggle. I had this weird sensation that I was sight-reading the music--never a good sign. Still, I persevered. I struggled my way through all three movements, trying to decide if anything I'd recorded was presentable. Then I looked down at my recorder and noticed that it had stopped with a low battery error. I had gotten a lot recorded, but I wasn't happy and I needed an excuse to scrap what I'd done and try again another time. So thanks to my cheap-o Aldi's batteries, I'll take another crack at this one another time. It's for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment