Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A man, a plan...



In his email signature line, my friend Andy quotes Leonard Bernstein, "To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." I like that, but I might rework it to say, "To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and an audience."

I believe my plan to record Telemann's 12 Flute Fantasias on Euphonium--a plan which has now made it onto my list of new year's resolutions for the third year in a row--has suffered, or at least languished, because no one was looking. Failure is less daunting if no one even knows there's a plan.

So, while I realize the Telemann/Euphonium niche (okay, micro-niche) of the internet is a small one, I'm hoping the act of "going public" with this project will actually encourage me to do the work, i.e., complete the transcriptions, analyze and create the ornamentations, learn the music, record it, engineer it, and perhaps most important of all, maintain my chops on my horn.

No comments:

Post a Comment